Sunday, December 28, 2008

Welcome

Let's get one thing out of the way first:

I didn't vote for Barack Obama.

At least not in the general election, that is. Admittedly, I voted for him in the primary, because I far preferred him to Hillary Clinton, whereas I didn't particularly care for any of the Republican candidates (though Ron Paul led the pack). As a libertarian from Georgia, I cast my vote in the general election for the Georgia Libertarian: Bob Barr. It was the first time I ever cast a vote for President that was more a vote of actual support than a vote against the other candidates.

So why, you ask, am I blogging about Barack? I know I'm sure to disagree with a good chunk of his policy decisions, so it's certainly not for partisan or political reasons. Rather, it's because I'm amused at the extremes his critics, both on the right and left, have been willing to go to attack him. In the absence of real scandal, they've resorted to imaginary scandals. Multiple ones. Nothing exemplifies this better, perhaps, than the "natural-born citizen" crowd who, trust me, will be getting plenty of attention on this blog. And it's not limited to them: Snopes already has entries on 47 different legends, and 30 of them are out-and-out false. Only 3 of the 47 are actually true in their entirety.

It's not necessary for me to be an actual Obama supporter to write this blog, or for you to enjoy it, because this blog isn't about defending Obama politically. It's about putting a spotlight on those whose antipathy towards the President-Elect is so strong that they aren't willing to let accuracy or common sense stand in the way of their criticisms. The folks who believe he's secretly a Kenyan-born Marxist Muslim terrorist sympathizer posing as a radical Christian elitist, and that his election represents the end of the great American experiment. You don't need to be a liberal or a Democrat to enjoy ridiculing that kind of thinking. Frankly, good conservatives should be above that kind of nonsense.

Anyhow, welcome to Barackryphal. And if you have an article, picture, or blog post that you think exemplifies Obama Derangement Syndrome, please send it to lorencollins@yahoo.com, and maybe we can shine that spotlight on some worthy targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment